To give you an idea, we thought it might be useful to go through a typical week at Abbey Communication. The exact improvements you would make would depend on your level, but this example would be for a learner at B1 (CEFR).
Monday is the first day, so it’s the day for introductions and telling your trainer and colleagues about yourself and your job.
- We help you build confidence and fluency with useful words and phrases for these introductory conversations.
- We help you talk about yourself and your job comfortably, and also introduce social topics such as sport, family and hobbies.
- You practise social conversation at coffee times and lunchtimes every day this week.
All these skills are transferable and will prepare you for the next time you are in a networking situation and meeting new people.
Today we give you strategies for handling telephone calls and meetings, as well as giving you more in-depth words and phrases for your job and career.
- You learn how to use the right words and phrases for leading and participating in meetings, such as agreeing actions and deadlines, setting priorities, offering opinion and negotiating outcomes.
- You get more confidence on the phone by gaining useful starting and finishing phrases, vocabulary for managing the pace of speech, and developing your question and answer skills.
- Tonight you will go to the pub, and probably play a traditional game with the other course participants and a trainer. You will also learn new words and phrases for buying drinks in a group, as well as taking part in and talking about a shared activity.
- You will learn how to structure a simple but very effective presentation, using powerful phrases for introducing yourself and your topic, guiding others through your presentation and highlighting interesting data and facts.
- Today you will also take your meeting and telephoning skills to the next level by practising a conference call, where no doubt you will also need to gain the language for handling interruptions, bad lines, and turn taking.
All the skills you learn this week for managing conversations in English can be transferred to a number of business situations and you will notice the difference immediately when you are back at work.
Today is the day you might deliver your first presentation in English and what a positive experience it will be!
- After your presentation, your trainer will give you additional feedback around tone, pronunciation and pace, as well as build on useful words and phrases to use when presenting to others and handling ‘question and answer’ sessions.
- You will take part in a negotiation where you will acquire more English for persuasion, giving opinion, stating your case, making concessions, disagreeing, tentative agreement and firm agreement.
- Tonight you will join the other course participants and host families at dinner. With your increased confidence, you will be able to participate in discussions about your job, interests, family, hobbies and culture.
You will have acquired so much new language this week, you will be wondering how you could learn more, but you will!
- Today you will consolidate your new knowledge and plan for the next stage in your career by, for example, doing a SWOT or STEPE analysis of your job or company.
- You will notice you will need language for describing the wider environment in which you work socially, technologically, environmentally, politically and economically.
- You will consolidate your experience of the cultural exchanges you have had with others this week, and reflect on how you can continue to improve your cultural and language awareness once back at work.
Above all else, you will have acquired a massive leap in confidence. Whatever level you started at on Monday morning, you will now have so many more ‘tools’ in your English language ‘toolkit’ so that you can respond and react positively in most professional situations.
A good immersion experience will be adapted to you and your needs, and the end result will be a step-change in your English language skills.
If you would like to know more about immersion training in the Cotswolds, please get in touch with any of the team.